Sunday, February 8, 2009

Poppers


I have found a new passion, making fly rod poppers. It started simple enough, Vince D. whom I met through the WarmFly website invited me to a fly tying class in Gonzales one Saturday. The gentleman that runs the class showed us how to paint the poppers with an airbrush. Vince had brought a couple of poppers that were ready to paint for me to use in the class. I was hooked. I bought an airbrush and some corks that afternoon and never looked back. I love painting these guys. It helps to relax me and gives me an outlet to be creative like never before. I didn't know if it was something I would be able to do as I tend to lean towards being more autistic than artistic. I have to admit I am pleasantly surprised with my results. I even got a compliment from my younger brother, Brian. He is usually critical of everything but told me he was very impressed. This meant a lot because he is a very good artist, much better than I will ever be. I have started selling my poppers on a new blog, www.cajunpoppers.blogspot.com. I haven't made any sales yet but then I just started the blog around 9:00 last night. I'm hoping to get a few sales off the blog so I can buy more fly fishing stuff, mainly I would like to get a kayak. A few guys I know fish from kayaks and seem to really love it. My first purchase will be a small compressor for my airbrush, the cans of propellant are getting expensive.
My wife is backing me on this venture, which is great. She has been very complimentary on my poppers and other flies. And not just the praise you give a child after they drew a picture that looks like nothing.
Well guess it's time for me to get back to making more poppers. Hopefully, I will have a few sales come through.

No comments:

Post a Comment