Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Trip

Went to Bass Pro Shop and Cabela's yesterday with my son and a friend. The morning started out great, the sun was out, the winds were pretty calm, and the temp. was in the mid 70's. I had received two gift cards for Christmas so I wanted to pickup some tying materials I wanted at Bass Pro. Had a problem at the check out, one of the gift cards would only allow me the use a certain portion of the available funds, really aggravating. Anyway, left Bass Pro and hit the road again to Cabela's. My son and I were really hungry for the venison brat with onions and peppers they serve in the little cafe upstairs. We introduced this culinary delight to our friend and as it turns out to the man in line behind us. Our new inductees found the brat to be as delicious as we had promised.
After looking around the store for a while I picked up a fly tying tool kit for my wife's cousin and we headed out the door. Now we were going fishing. When we stepped outside the wind had picked up considerably. Since we were about 50 miles away from where we planned on fishing I wasn' t too concerned.
We hopped on to the Interstate and headed east, really south but the signs say I-10 east. We were headed for one of my favorite fishing holes along I-55. When we arrived the wind had picked up considerably and was going to make throwing a fly rod quite difficult.
My son had never fly fished before and this was in essence his introduction. We were throwing 3wt rods which can be difficult to control in a breeze but now we had winds of 10-15 mph out of the south. I must admit I was proud of him. Even with the wind blowing like a freight train, he took to casting the rod quite well for his first time and seemed to enjoy himself.
As for the fish, none we bitting. We tried poppers and a few wet flies and streamers I had tied and got no takers.
Even though we got skunked on the fishing it was a great day. I enjoyed the time spent with two of my closest buddies on a little road trip swapping stories and wetting a line together.

No comments:

Post a Comment